Photo by Melody

Michigan Gardening: What is the most invasive perennial in your garden......., 1 by Loon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Loon

In reply to: What is the most invasive perennial in your garden.......

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What is the most invasive perennial in your garden.......
Loon wrote:
Ladybells!!

I had this at my city house and it absolutely took over a large perennial bed. I pulled and pulled but could not keep up with this plant. It spreads by underground runners and is extremely invasive. I would consider it a noxious weed. The only way I could get rid of it was to move and leave it behind. I was careful NOT to take any perennials out of that bed with me to my new house for fear a piece of this would tag along and get moved to my new flower bed.

Another very invasive plant is a wild morning glory. I don't know if that is the proper name for it. Probably isn't. It is a vine with arrow shaped leaves that wraps itself around everything and chokes the life out of it and when it blooms it has small pinkish white morning glory type blossoms on it. I did accidentally carry a root of this to my new bed and I watch for it every day and when I'd see it pop it's head up I'd pull it out. I'm hoping it will give up but if I see it again this spring I'll just pull the perennial it's on out and burn it or something. :)

I'm very careful what I plant now. I never want to have to deal with anything invasive again.