Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Albizia julibrissin (mimosa tree) seed storage., 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Albizia julibrissin (mimosa tree) seed storage.

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Albizia julibrissin (mimosa tree) seed storage.
ViburnumValley wrote:
Hi Mike:

Is it safe to come out? Has the angel of Death passed? I'll vouch for the prescribed recipe as certain death, but not for the angel part.

Your chain has been gently but firmly yanked, and there are probably no seeds that would survive the tongue-in-wringer treatment described above (which was the point).

I'm not looking to be cast off these forums. I'm also not interested in attacking or offending here, just passing through information. You don't need more print advocating against this plant, but I'd like to point out why regionality is (and more often isn't) important when debating/discussing/advocating about pest plants:

Because the plant doesn't know it, and because people don't leave them there, either. If you were successful in growing this plant (and were either unaware of its status, or didn't care), you would be likely to distribute it further and more likely to where it can/will be a problem.

So, how about joining the E list?

Err on the side of caution (dare I say responsibility?).

Enjoy the view of this tree next door; that's free.

Elect to plant one of the thousands of wonderful woodies that you've never tried!

Excite visitors and neighbors by increasing the woody plant mix.

Elevate the knowledge base: there's a good chance that you could plant any one of the hundreds of IL indigenous woodies that none of your neighbors have ever seen or heard of.

Have a blast and great success.