Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Shade Gardening: Ideas for container next to front door:, 1 by karenM

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright karenM

In reply to: Ideas for container next to front door:

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ideas for container next to front door:
karenM wrote:
Thanks, everybody! I've had internetus interruptus, so am just catching up on your great contributions. I'm expecially glad to hear of phormium being shade tolerant, and the San Marcos page is a great resource. The problem with the Phormium in this location is that I fear it'd get too big width-wise, as it's 18" from wall to door.

I got a suggestion about using a Dracaena Marginata for the corner by the door--photo below--and I saw a gorgeous but pricey specimen at a local nursery. Almost bought it, thinking I'd use it as a point of departure for other container plantings in front of it; but got to obsessing over whether it can handle our occasional cold mornings, should I forget to check weather the night before. Anyone use Dracaena outside? It's rather protected in that corner by the door from frost, but, some mornings are in the 30's.

Good heads up on the height of zz, E. I almost ordered one, but am not yet decided on a whole game plan.

Thanks for your comments, all, about my crazy house colors. When i did it up that way, I was into pretending I live in Provence--an understandable but silly notion for the rural Marin hood I'm in. And, the boring ranch house I inherited doesn't exactly lend itself to this treatment design wise ;^) But, I do enjoy it, too.

Karen