Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: my Pinus strobus 'Nana' in a half plastic barrel, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

Subject: my Pinus strobus 'Nana' in a half plastic barrel

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of my Pinus strobus 'Nana' in a half plastic barrel
shortleaf wrote:
Hi again all,

Sorry I haven't been in much lately. I know you people in here work too, but they got us going 6 days a week.
A little more than my usual 4 ten hour days. The INS is keeping us busy with immigration.

Is that Resin I saw in here? I'm so glad to see people migrate from that "other place".

I am wondering about my Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. Eventually some year I'd like to make it a focal point of some land-scaping at my new place (if I ever get it).

I am curious as to the shape and size at maturity?

I've had this tree for 23 months. It is doing quite well in the barrel, in nothing but pine bark (about 2 bags of it if I remember right).

I've seen shrubs around town, I think Pinus Mugo, maybe a similar shape as that someday?.

I'd like to be able to plant some Hostas, Yucca or flowers or something underneath it.

Does it form a clear enuff trunk to allow something under it someday? It has a trunk now, but its only about a foot tall (or less).
My vision of it is in a 20 foot oval or circular arrangement of landscape edging.
I'd just have to re-think some plans if it took on too big of dimensions later, maybe make it more of a specimen plant?

To get it out of the barrel I thought I'd just take my jig-saw and go down the sides of it to get it out.
I could even re-use the barrel!

Oh, thats just an old log that I threw in the barrel next to the trunk of the plant. I use it to put on top of the garden hose when I water it sometimes in the Summer. Those in front of it are 8 of my Dwarf Alberta Spruce "Living Christmas trees" that are also doing quite well. They would also be part of my home landscape design.

One of my biggest challenges when I start all my ground planting is - size, did I give it enuff room?
I can just see me now, in about 10 years, "did I plant that in the right spot?" did I give it enuff room on this side?"
As Barney Fife would say "nip it in the bud". I never knew what that meant even until now!, I'm probably still wrong!

Will

p.s. I'm still going to post photos of all the nice plantings of the nearby cemetery with hopefully the correct latin names, when they get leaves this Spring. I'd sure like to write a book on the subject someday. Thanks for the encouragement Guy and Vv.