Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Deterring Digging Cats in the Garden, 1 by orchidfancy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright orchidfancy

In reply to: Deterring Digging Cats in the Garden

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Deterring Digging Cats in the Garden
orchidfancy wrote:
Equilibrium: you are absolutly right , by the look of things Mama coul not been too far . Ans as all the wildlife Mama's they are very protective with no sense of humor about their little darling. As far as the baby snapper it was hard to identify. The snapper that I rescued was at least 15 to 18 across and he hissed. I can understand you being upset about someone putting a snapper in your pond, I would be too because they do some serious destruction with the fish population and they do bite... The only thing that I put out is bird seeds in the morning so by the evening it is all cleared up. For some reason the mouning doves have decided that my place was the ideal buffet place. We had a snow (4") a month ago and I counted 35 mourning doves in my fringe tree and my witch hazel. Whatever the birds drop at the feeder they have it cleaned.
Couple years ago we had a pair of juvenile possums coming in the evening to see what was on the menu if anything ,so we put some cat food out for them I had some that the cat did not like. they were entertaining they would come at dusk or little later and my neighboors children would quietly watch them from their porch behind my house . And then they quit coming .... But we still have the rabbits.... surprisinly the rabbits have not made much damage in the vegetable garden that I am aware of anyway. And if they do that is fine too because I always have more than I can handle of certain veggies.
I have a small pond behind my house in Cambridge and being close to the water Iast year I had a heron visiting my pond He would sit on top of my neighboor's garage and shop. I think that he got the bigger fish that I had. The year before we had a pair of mallards that had decided to nest in my back yard under the hydrangeas and use the pond as place to bathe. They never had ducklings I think that they were not mature yet to lay eggs. They were intertaining for a while beside turning the pond in a mudd puddle. We have so much wildlife there that we even have the ducks nesting at the courthouse. But like everywhere things are changing not for the better they are building condo's everywhere. I am so disappointed...picture of my friend in the front of my house with hydrangeas