Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Red tipped photinia, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Red tipped photinia

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Red tipped photinia
shortleaf wrote:
Yeah, nice pic Rocco. My brother in Mesquite, TX has an old over-grown hedge of it and it doesn't look good. He bought a 115 year old historic home so who knows how old this hedge really is. It has swallowed the whole length of their chain link fence and is up into the power lines.

Your photo is inspirational though, it shows how it can be pruned and controlled into an evergreen tree, which is nice.
I like to see hedge and shrub forms pruned into a tree. It brings to mind a patient, yet daring and knowledgeable plan to a landscape. Wisteria and Forsythia come to mind as 2 others.
I think I'll save your photo for future viewing if thats alright.

I couldn't try that here, I'm too far North. I'd have to shell out more money for a hardier cultivar. Most of the stores here sell all those "not hardy in this area plants" during the Summer of course. But they'll sell you anything in the Summer and hope you don't bring them back for a refund after they have died. I've seen Crape Myrtle, straight Southern Magnolia, Red-tipped Photinia, Banana trees (even the less hardy varieties such as ('Gran nain') and more. I agree, some of them MIGHT live in the ground, facing the South, with yearly die-back, but on the average, not. Not to mention that if they DO live here, they will likely be shrubs. Its mostly big-box stores like Lowes, Home Depot and Wal-mart that sell those plants in the Summer. I asked Lowes where they come from, they are shipped from Florida, which is even worse. I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from Florida, from all the stores.

Will

This is a photo of it, but a photo of it just back when I was trying to identify it. I don't have one of it all in the fence.