Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Wanna help me plan?, 1 by 4xthefun

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 4xthefun

In reply to: Wanna help me plan?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wanna help me plan?
4xthefun wrote:
Hi Tplant, sorry I have been away from computer for a few days.

Thanks for the tutorial. In the first box or two I set up I can't remember if I made sure there was soil packed into those corners for wicking. I did make sure to do that with the later boxes. I also didn't use wet soil but did sprinkle it with the hose every so often as I filled it. I used the potting soil I have pictured above because I couldn't find EB recommended soils and I was looking for something that didn't have the fertilizers included like EB said to do. I am thinking my soil was just very poor and maybe it did have fertilizers but wasn't labeled. I used a granulated fertilizer, synthetic not organic but I have some organic now that I thought about trying this year.

This picture shows my tomatoes. They stayed kind of spindly, never filled out and I think I got about 5 cracked (but tasty) tomatoes out of it.

I wonder if the location of the boxes has anything to do with it. They got sun the first half of the day but then would have been in the shade of the fence towards the evening. I thought this would be good as it is so doggone ot here. I also used the white side up since I am in south tx.

Thanks for your help!
Laura