Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Passiflora flower buds?, 1 by ineedacupoftea

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ineedacupoftea

In reply to: Passiflora flower buds?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Passiflora flower buds?
ineedacupoftea wrote:
How do you mean "fringe," Janet?
I think that the link's picture is of flower whose petals are recurved a bit, which actually make the diameter look smaller.

You know, I have often wondered about those variations. I truly think that plant individual, strain, soil, season, temperature, light, and even time of day affect it. (But, judging from pictures, I think that individual plant is the biggest factor.) Those style-clasping bits are just younger, undeveloped filaments, or petaloids, as I understand, -I love them.( so much so, I was actually inspired to paint them!) Different sizes of flower seem to have different number of layers of these fun little poky-doodles. I also do think that heat or plant ill health will fade the color. End-of season blooms seem smaller, too, and the parts seem effected by that.

I need to get off the computer, I have a Passiflora 'Lady Margaret' cutting in my pocket that I had forgotten!
(Kenton) James

The following was taken Noveber 4, this year after our first frost, which came in at -4 C.