Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Is my Colorado Spruce sick?, 1 by ceceoh

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ceceoh

Subject: Is my Colorado Spruce sick?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Is my Colorado Spruce sick?
ceceoh wrote:
I've owned my house for five years, and this tree is my pride and joy. I've been told it is at least 50 years old, and it is as tall as my house.

In August, I noticed that three or four branches on the tree looked like they were dying. The needles were completely yellow and dead, and it seemed that there was a layer of dead needles caught in the branches, thicker than a normal drop. This is happening in the lower half of the tree. I can't see any dying branches in the top half.

I don't think this is the blue spruce blight that I have read about, since the needles are not purple, but yellow. Could this be due to the drought we had this summer? I didn't water the tree because I was told that spruce were drought tolerant.

I did trim the very bottom row of branches off the tree two years ago, so that my dog could have a cool place to lay under the tree during the summer. I hope this didn't hurt the tree in some way.

I wish I had a better picture, but you can see half of "my baby" in the picture, to the right. Can anyone assure me that my spruce will be OK, or should I call the tree doctor?