Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Sick toyon tree, 1 by ecrane3

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ecrane3

Subject: Sick toyon tree

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Sick toyon tree
ecrane3 wrote:
I tried this one over on the Garden Foes forum with no luck--it seems to be much more about insects over there, and this is definitely not an insect problem, more like a fungus or something so I'm hoping maybe someone over here can help me.

My toyon tree (Heteromeles arbutifolia) seems to be dying and I'm trying to figure out if it can still be saved or if I should get rid of it. It starts off with some reddish brown blotches on the leaves, then over time the leaves become all brown and dead. The berries look dried up too. I've lived here 3 yrs and cut off a few branches the first year that had this problem, but it's been affecting more and more branches every year. I tried spraying with some Neem oil fungicide last year and again this spring but it didn't seem to do any good. Here's a picture of the beginning stage where the berries are shrivelled but the leaves just have spots on them: