Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: My "Show N' Tell, 1 by Tree_Climber

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Tree_Climber

In reply to: My "Show N' Tell

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My "Show N' Tell
Tree_Climber wrote:
Thanks sjms,

For me, Show N Tell was late, but I got them planted late, and didn't water or fertilize as much as I should have.

I got my tubers from a friend in Washington State, and for her they start blooming rather early.

I dug mine yesterday, and decided not to divide until Spring. I'm new at this, and no matter how many pictures I look at that show "eyes", I still have trouble seeing them.

I washed them off, let them dry for a while, and put them in paper lunch bags with cedar chips, (marked the variety on the bag), then I surrounded the bags with more cedar inside cardboard boxes. My plan is to use a very large cardboard box and put the smaller boxes inside of it, and again add cedar or pine chips.

I really don't have a basement I can borrow. My sister and Father have a crawl space, but I imagine it freezes down there too, besides, they are about 1 1/2 hours away, and it wouldn't be convenient to retrieve my treasure quickly come spring.

I'll just have to give the back of the garage a try and see what happens. I don't have very many tubers, so it won't be too big of a loss if they don't make it. Until I get the storage thing down pat, Dahlias are definately worth growing as an annual .......... My friend will always send me more "Show N' Tell", she has tons. Lucky her, she lives near Connell's.

Here's a picture of what she picks from her gardens every day ....