Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Camellia Sinensis (Tea Plant), 1 by camelliagirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright camelliagirl

In reply to: Camellia Sinensis (Tea Plant)

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Camellia Sinensis (Tea Plant)
camelliagirl wrote:
laura,
I have never grown camellias in a cold climate like yours, but I have heard of many that have grown these cold hardy camellias sucessfully. The varieties that you have planted should survive the winter, but I would suggest that you cover them with some protection during extreme cold periods for the first year or two. An old blanket or some micro-foam would probably increase your chances. Also, I would make sure that the plants are well watered before an extremely cold period. If they are dry, they should be more likely to be damaged by the cold.

Snow Flurry was one of the many cold hardy camellias developed by Dr. William Ackerman. He literally wrote the book on growing cold hardy camellias. I would suggest that you obtain a copy of Dr. Ackerman's book entitled 'Growing Camellias in Cold Climates'. It is one of the best books on camellias that I have ever read. It is available from The American Camellia Society. The ACS web address is
http://www.camellias-acs.com

Another one of Dr. Ackerman's cold hardy hybrids that has just bloomed for me for the first time is Ashton's Pride. I am posting a picture of this variety. Hope this info helps. Keep me posted.