Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Cones on Atlas Cedar, 1 by growin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright growin

In reply to: Cones on Atlas Cedar

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cones on Atlas Cedar
growin wrote:
Hi Biker1,

The large cones are female, small whispy pendulous things are male. The real cones can't be missed as they're round, hard, thick. Go here and scroll down to Cedrus: http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Genera.htm
This will give you a much better description. I've been collecting cones for a few weeks now but I can tell you, from reading all my books and online stuff that it seems even the experts are confused about which species is which. I've also found that, even though they say it is Monoecious (male & female on same plant), I've found there are trees that cone and trees that don't. Even on the Blue Atlas Cedar - short foliage and rarely a cone but longer foliage but blue and there might be more cones. It's great you have cones and collect away. It does mention in one of my books that it takes 2 years for the cones to mature. I think this photo is Cedrus deodara. Have fun with it.