Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Perennials: Pulmonarias, 1 by hortensia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hortensia

In reply to: Pulmonarias

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pulmonarias
hortensia wrote:
I know my zone is a lot different from yours, but I have a very unusual situation in my back garden which may have some factors in common. It is in the shade ( and root reach) of some big leaved maples and cedar trees, except for midday when the sun shines straight down. Additionally, it is on a slope, with sandy soil so the drainage is instant. On the other hand, we are in BC, where it rains. Lots.

Pulmonarias love it here., that is the odd thng. I grow pulmonaria longifolia, rubra, and saccharata and several intermediate hybrids and species selections: Apple Frost, Bertram Anderson, Coral Sprins, Dora Bielefed, Excalibur,Margery Fish, , Mrs. Moon, Mrs Kittle, Opal,roy Davdson, rubra David WArd and Redstart, Sissinghurst White smoky blue, spilled Milk and Victorain Brooch.

I tried to grow several of these before in a much wetter garden, but shaded, and I find they did not thrive as utterly as they do here...

I need to go out and double check in case I don't have all of these, but a lot of pulmonaria inhabit my garden!!!

here is the foliage of a division -- not sure now & too dark to go check!!!