Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Close to the last hurrah, 1 by drdon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright drdon

In reply to: Close to the last hurrah

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Close to the last hurrah
drdon wrote:
hiya gang,

Dahlia (the doggie) is a wacky girl that loves to get dirty and has an odd taste for eating earthworms.....go figure...lol.

B.A. Yellow is opening it's final bloom today because I'm cutting off all the buds and keeping it vegetative so it can store more energy for next season. This spring it was slow to emerge and I think it was due to me allowing it to bloom until all the others were spent for the year. I was digging around B.A. White to sow some seed heads of Lobelia cardinalis today and holy smokes the tuber is enormous. I'll probably get six to ten divisions from it this winter. I'm jazzed about that.

I've been hunting for some species dahlias on the internet to add to our other species in the collection and I'm really having a hard time. Is that Swan place up north growing anything other than all those fabulous hybrids I see?

best to all,
don

lol @ 5K pure bred....She wasn't quite that much, but she acts like she's related to Leona Helmsly...lol. Hard to take that face seriously.