Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Air layering citrus (lemon), 1 by roose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright roose

In reply to: Air layering citrus (lemon)

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Air layering citrus (lemon)
roose wrote:
Greetings pebble,
Yes it is relatively easy but you have to be very patient. I'll post pics on the different steps so you visualize it better.
From what I understand you can air layer just about any plant that is usually difficult to root as a cutting.
Mind you, this was my first attempt so I haven't tried variations.
I started mine by first choosing a healthy looking subject.
First, you'll need plastic wrap, wet peat moss and twist ties (or other suitable material that will keep the plastic wrap snug). You may also choose to use rooting hormone. I didn't with the first ones but I did with the current ones I'm working on which is a lime tree.
Choose a spot somewhere on that stem and make two lateral cuts about an inch apart, being careful to only cut through the bark.
Next you cut lengthwise to connect the other cuts.

Remove the bark off the stem by using either your thumbnail or a knife. Be careful as the stem may be very tender and snap.
Wrap the plastic wrap around the stem below the lower cut.Use a twist tie to keep it in place.
Shape the wrap so that it can hold the wet peat moss that you're going to mold around the stem. Use a nice handful because you want to cover the wound completely and keep it in the dark. If you choose to use root hormone, put it on the wound before you apply the peat moss.
Finish up by wrapping the plastic wrap around the peat. Make sure to overlap the plastic so that it's nice and snug.
Wet the peat whenever it looks and feels to be drying.
It'll be ready to cut when you see roots through the plastic.
And if you're like me you'll probably look every now and then to see if there's anything happening. Be patient. It's a slow process.
Good luck ! ;)