Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Calling all iris pros, 1 by 1gardengram

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 1gardengram

In reply to: Calling all iris pros

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Calling all iris pros
1gardengram wrote:
I started with sand and crabgrass with a little clump of mint growing in it. Thought I had the mint all pulled out, but when we tilled to make the first "real" flower bed, mint came up everywhere. I have found out that it adds good enzymes to the soil, so leave it alone until it just is absolutely in my way and then I pull it out, but it doesn't seem too insulted. It just comes up someplace else. But I've amended and amended and amended. I'm too lazy to do a compost pile so I just bury my compost directly under the plants and keep turning my fall mulch every spring. Now I have the kind of soil my dad taught me was "that good black stuff you just know feels right in your hand". But no matter what, this southern humidity keeps some things from doing well, no matter what you do. I wasted too much money learning, 'cause I was too stubborn to ask. One of my granddaughters is home from college in the summers and loves zinnias for cutting, so I plant them for her, but they are at their best when she's back in school, wouldn't you know? I love my dahlias and have decided to add more, as well as more miniature roses. I gave up on the big tea roses, like you. Too much money keeping them going, and then they died anyway. Guy around the corner from me has the most beautiful roses you can imagine!

This dahlia is Firebird and I do everything wrong, but it's happy anyway.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2005 11:44 AM