Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Cold hardiness of Spathoglottis? (Chinese Ground Orchid), 1 by JaxFlaGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JaxFlaGardener

Subject: Cold hardiness of Spathoglottis? (Chinese Ground Orchid)

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cold hardiness of Spathoglottis?  (Chinese Ground Orchid)
JaxFlaGardener wrote:
I couldn't resist buying one of the Spathoglottis orchids that were available at Lowe's a few months back. It is continuing to bloom and doing well in the spot I chose for it: part shade, daily watering, in the ginger patch on the southside of my house.

I've been growing the Nun's Orchid (Phaius Tankervillae) for several years. They survive the winters fine and are one of the first things to bloom in the Spring. I also have a yellow ground orchid (not yet identified) that is Fall flowering and also has done well for me.

I'm concerned that the Spathoglottis picata may not be winter hardy here. The Plant Files list it as growing in only Zone 11, which is way south of me!! (but the PF Zone ranges are not always accurate since we can put anything in there when entering a new plant to the database).

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has grown this ground orchid, especially if you live up toward the Zone 8b/9a area. It is a beautiful thing, and I don't want it to freeze to death this winter. If it turns out not to be winter hardy here, I'll trade it for some additional P. tankervillae or some other more hardy ground orchid.

Jeremy