Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Some general clematis questions, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Some general clematis questions

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Some general clematis questions
pirl wrote:
I agree with Shirley. I keep them in pots for at least the first year. Strong roots and TLC make for a better plant. I have one, still on the porch, way overdue for planting out - one of these days it will go out.

Only plant Clematis on roses if they both have the same pruning requirements.
I have three on a magnolia and they've been there for years and seem happy together.

Jnette is right: if you're forced to cut off the foliage more will grow back.

They grow "crazy" depending on the variety and the soil, more the soil. We have two Jackmanii's on one tree that bloom well but aren't nearly as robust as those planted at the edge of the compost piles - they get all the good juices from the compost.

I'd go with Shirley on planting only the shorter ones in containers as a permanent planting. You'll only get yourself crazy if it starts growing to 12' and you can't accommodate it in the container.

I've planted about 75 clematis and about half are still with me. They hated the northwest side of the house. I'd never put one on or near a holly - it hurts too much to handle the pruning.

Let us know which ones you bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arlene