Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Irises growing wild in an old irrigation ditch, 1 by gregr18

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gregr18

Subject: Irises growing wild in an old irrigation ditch

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Irises growing wild in an old irrigation ditch
gregr18 wrote:
I have several large clusters of irises growing in an old irrigation ditch in a retired cranberry bog on my property. They have been there as long as I have lived on the property (1994), and I never paid much attention to them, but having found this forum and caught the iris bug, my interest in them has been renewed. I will post pictures of the flowers and the foliage, and if anyone can tell me anything at all about them, I would be very happy to learn! Most of the spikes are between 3 and 4 feet tall, and the foliage in the1-1/2 to 3 foot range. The roots are currently submerged, and grow along quite happily with cat o' nine tails, various ferns, and our native impatiens (jewelweed). At some point, when I am a little more comfortable with handling them, I would be happy to give away some of the rhizomes should anyone be interested, as the clumps are quite gigantic, having been left as they are for I-don't-know-how-long.