Photo by Melody

Clematis: Can someone ID this guy for me?, 1 by JLD_II

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JLD_II

In reply to: Can someone ID this guy for me?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can someone ID this guy for me?
JLD_II wrote:
Ivy. Passion flowers don't make good cut flowers sadly. But I think yours may survive your winters, I'm not positive though. The most important advise I can give to anyone growing passion flowers is to have a very loose, well draining soil.I have many of mine growing in a soiless medium made up of peatmoss, mushroom compost,screened pine barks, gypsome and dolomite lime. them i usually add a little scott's 3 in 1 compost potting soil and perlite to keep it very loose. Water runs right through the pots but it promotes crazy rooting. You can also use cheap potting soil as long as you add a little compost and a bunch of perlite to keep it loose and draining. I can't stress how much of a difference loose, fast draining soil makes, it is crucial if you want to be rewarded with blooms galore. I love keeping many of them in pots as it is easier to prune and manipulate them into blooming more rather than focusing on leaf/vine development. The ones growing in the ground tend to have more foliage and less flowers. I'm sure others will probably disagree and have different results. I guess its what works best for you personally. Just think loose soil!

hol36. I think this picture below if the 1 you have. I know it as P. Caerulea aka Hardy Blue Passion Flower. They will get a darker blue, mine are right now. I'm not sure why this picture is so pale. You'll enjoy that 1, its fun and pretty, ez to work with.