Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Old Trees, 1 by plymouthgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plymouthgarden

In reply to: Old Trees

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Old Trees
plymouthgarden wrote:
hi guys -

thanks for the notes on my trees. as incredible as they seem in photos, they take your breath away in person. makes you feel really, really small!

and yes our house was built a long time ago - 1965, and there has been no construction since unless you count a brick patio my husband did a few years ago, but that didn't involve much digging - and it's not mortered so the water can drain thru to the roots. it's just about that the edge of the canopy.

and the petasites are not really near the roots of the beeches...yet! i love the moss idea. i would LOVE to have a sea of moss out there. but we do know not to dig around the trees, and have pretty much let them alone. we have the best arborist EVER, he trims them when they need trimming and watches over them. i'm terrified of beech bark disease, but just read recently that european beeches are not as susceptible as american beeches are. just the same, we keep an eye on them.

we have an unusual house - so sometimes people don't like it, and they'll say "oh, those trees are too close to the house, you are going to take those down, right?". WHAT? those people aren't "tree people" like us, and just don't get it. TAKE 'EM DOWN? NEVER!

and yes, they are SUPER close to the house - here's a photo of them from another view......