Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Build a greenhouse in zone 4?, 1 by deann

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright deann

In reply to: Build a greenhouse in zone 4?

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Build a greenhouse in zone 4?
deann wrote:
Hi Joan

Was reading about your wanting information on building a greenhouse and then heating it. My son in law built my greenhouse which is all redwood and all double polycarbonate for the panels. It is 12 x 12 with peak roof since we live in Northern Michigan and have lots of snow. That in itself, materials alone for just the greenhouse and that included the stain as well was $3000.00.

MY DH installed a propane wall heater which I turned on in March the first year I had it, and ran it till the end of April. The cost of heating was over $300.00. And I kept it on pilot only. I pretty much figured out that was the the last time I would do that as I could buy alot of plants for $300.00 as opposed to seeds.

I have an exhaust fan in mine and I keep the thermo at 75 degrees which keeps the Greenhouse from over heating. It does get hot in there if you don't have an exhaust fan with a thermostat. I suggest you put that in.

I now do not start my seedlings till the middle of April and at night time I cover them up with plastic so they don't get chilled or frosted. This method works for me.

I do have water in my greenhouse and the hose was run underground, the same for the electric. We ran cable underground.

12 x 16 is a pretty big greenhouse....you may want to consider something a tad smaller.....I have enclosed a picture of mine.

Good Luck!

Deann