Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-), 1 by kennedyh

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kennedyh

In reply to: Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-)

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-)
kennedyh wrote:
Having selected the spinebill as a first for the month, I then got to see a very special bird last night. 10 days ago I led a spotlight walk in Morwell National Park http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502827/ and for that walk I borrowed a spotlight from the Park ranger. He rang me yesterday and arranged to collect the light today, so last night I went back to the park for one last explore by night with the spotlight. I saw 5 Eastern Grey Kangaroosa and 2 Swamp Wallabies on the walk, but you can often see these by daylight. My other find was rather special. I managed to spot a Tawny Frogmouth Podargus strigoides sitting on a low branch of a Eucalyptus tree. He was so close that I had a go at getting a picture and this is the result. I took the picture, holding the spotlight on the bird at the same time as lining up the camera with telephoto lens. The exposure is a bit too bright, but the end result is quite pleasing.