Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-), 1 by salvia_lover

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright salvia_lover

Subject: Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-)

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birdsters! May is here and we want to see your 'firsts'! :-)
salvia_lover wrote:
As the old cock crows
The young cock learns

- Irish Proverb

Sorry Tabasco, but the April thread was already past 250 posts. I hope you don't mind. If so, I promise never to do it again :-)

-Julie

This is a pic of a young House Sparrow (not nearly as problematic here as they are in the US!). She was completely unafraid of me, but his Mama and Papa were frantic. They did everything to gain my attention away from the youngster. When I first spotted the family on my patio, they didn't notice me. They were singing and chirping happily, trying to collect as many of the fish emulsion pellets as they could (I'd dropped several of them on the patio earlier today when feeding my fuchsias and epiphyllums). In any case, the instant they noticed me the Papa started chattering angrily, the Mama flew this way and that in front of me trying to get my attention. She gave up, but the Papa never did. He even tried herding the youngster away from me and into the trees. Eventually the little one (I'm pretty sure it's a girl) got the idea and flew up to the tree. Then the Papa continued to chatter his displeasure at me. It was really quite a show! This all took place in less than 2 minutes, so I didn't feel guilty about not just leaving them be. ;-)