Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Scale? + ?wounds = new lilac tree in big trouble??, 1 by paani

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright paani

Subject: Scale? + ?wounds = new lilac tree in big trouble??

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Scale? + ?wounds = new lilac tree in big trouble??
paani wrote:
I'm hoping that GuyS and other tree folk can spare a few minutes to help me out.
I'll post a series of pictures to show the damage.

here's the situation:

-- bought a syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk' at a local nursery in March.
-- it was dormant when I bought it. I left it with them for several weeks till I could plant it.
-- it had *one* wound in the trunk then. I asked about it. They said it looked like it had fallen over at some point. Or that it could have been hail damage.

-- the nursery delivered it. I planted it within a few days of arrival (it was in a 15 gal. pot)

-- soon after planting I realized it had more bark wounds. I especially noticed them on some of the smallest branch (pencil+ size). I figured it had gotten banged up during delivery (I *saw* it get banged up some as he took it off his truck).

-- now (a few weeks later), it is riddled with wounds, from just above the graft up as far as I can see, plus more on the branches

-- AND it sure looks like it's got scale.
-- seems to be the hard scale? -- smooth waxy coating I can scrape off with my fingernail.
(I can't get enough of a close-up to show this well, but it's visible in the last two pics I'll post)

Questions:
-- are the wounds related to the scale? something else? *what* is it?!!!
-- am I right about hard scale?

and the most important question: *what can I do???!*

a thousand thanks to whoever can help out. It's so sad.

(a small kousa dogwood that came from the same nursery at the same time also seems to be covered in scale. It's buds aren't budding, while our established florida dogwood is in full bloom. No wounds like the lilac. It's in the backyard, lilac in the front. They're 30-40 ft. apart. But that's another misery. Separate posting later...).