Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Trying Again - What is it?, 1 by Kelli

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kelli

In reply to: Trying Again - What is it?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Trying Again - What is it?
Kelli wrote:
The flowers of "the burgundy iris" are not any larger than what I consider to be normal, so I doubt it is Don Juan. Also, it seems very unlikely that an iris as prolific as this one would be rare. I can't tell you how many dozens or even hundreds of rhizomes I have given away or put in the compost pile. As it is, I still have clumps of this plant all over the yard. (I will give rhizomes of this plant to whoever wants this summer or fall - whatever is the right time for you - in exchange for the cost of postage.)

My house was built in 1964 and there was nothing here before that. (Even if there was something here before, the lot had been heavily graded and anything that would have been here would have been lost.) So whatever the iris is, it would have to be something reasonably available after 1964. I noticed a house up on the next street also has this iris.

Here is another picture that shows that the falls do not have much tendency to be droopy. The flowers look almost like they want to fly away.

This one may have to remain a mystery. My space is very limited and if I get any new irises, I will have to first get rid of something else and I would only do that to put in something different from what I have.