Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted, 1 by GoldenDomer

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GoldenDomer

In reply to: Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted
GoldenDomer wrote:
Update #2

Thanks to the musclepower of my Nephew, both barrels are now where they belong. In
addition to being more massive and heavy than I thought, they were more "charcoaled" inside. I guess setting fire to that magnificent white oak is necessary to bring out the full flavor and aroma of the whiskey. I believe this barrel was used only once by Jack Daniel's
but the man at Lowe's wasn't certain. Lowe's regular price for these is $18 each, however, I was lucky enough to have gotten a $10 discount card in the mail just days prior. I can't remember bringing home more (in more ways than one!) for $25.38.

These two pictures give you the first full view of the half barrels and also the drain holes that I put in yesterday. After carefully considering all the input from this thread, I decided to drill five 1 inch drain holes in the bottom as you can see. The bottom will be lined with wire screening, Considering the charcoaling on inside and the natural aging of the exterior, I've decided leave the barrels as is since white oak can last forever. It could be that attempting some cosmetic restoration of the exterior is some way such as on the metal straps for instance might be worthwhile. I'm open to any suggestions out there. As a man living alone, I'm lacking any feminine point of view on a question like this and because of that I sometimes find I've missed out on something that would have actually pleased me.

I've also currently got my hands full completing the construction of a birdbath which is a vital and basic necessity for any successful birdscaping which I'm attempting and the only reason I'm in this Forum with this thread. I usually hang out in Brugs (I'm a newbie), Camera Talk and Computer Talk.

More later.