Clematis: Moving Clematis?, 1 by texasgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright texasgarden

In reply to: Moving Clematis?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Moving Clematis?
texasgarden wrote:
Ok, I got my tags out. The thing is, I have 3 separate trellis and I planted 2 vines on each one. Only one bloomed this year and I am pretty sure it was the Earnest Markham. But I am not sure which rootball it came from! I attached a picture of it. Again, not sure that it matters since I have the roots of two different vines at the base of one trellis and I have no idea which is which at this point.

So here's what I have total:

2 Kermesina- Plant files has it as "Group 3- prune hard early spring. Summer/Fall bloom" (tag says late season bloomer)

1 Niobe- PFiles has it as "Group 2- Repeat bloomer, prune immediately after it flowers." But it also has it as Group 3. ??? (tag says early season bloomer)

1 Duchess of Edinburgh- PF has it as a Group 2 (tag says early season bloomer)

1 Ernest Markham- PF has it as Group 2 AND 3 (tag says mid season bloomer)

1 Carnaby- PF has it as Group 2 (tag says early season bloomer)

Sooo, since I didn't make note of what I put where, I am tempted to just cut them all down to about 3 inches and plant as y'all instructed. Any feedback here is appreciated! Can I take that to mean my Group 3s have a better chance of blooming for me this year since you are SUPPOSED to prune them as I am about to, but the Group 2s may not?

8ft- I understand your point about ripping the roses when cutting the "3" guys back all the way. My thought was I would just cut them down to the base and wait for the vine to die (since it would be cut off from the roots). Then just gently pull the dead vines out. They tend to give and break more easily than the live green ones. I did that when my Jasmine died and unexpectedly grew back from roots the next spring. I had dead stuff intertwined with the new growth so I just cut it off and gently pulled them out. The new growth wasn't damaged at all. Just a thought!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2005 4:11 PM