Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Moving Clematis?, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Moving Clematis?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Moving Clematis?
wrote:
Back to your original question, T'Garden, thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. Yes you can move a clematis, but make sure that you replant it very very deep. There are 3 different types of clematis, but they all have one thing in common "clematis like cold feet". I manage this by (1) digging about 6" down around the plant, (2) hacking the clematis off of its trellis each year and (3) piling the foliage in the hole and covering with dirt - this creates fresh, cooling mulch each year, and it comes back beautifully and blooms like crazy. Not all clematis can be treated this way, mine is a type 3, which likes hard pruning. But mulch is essential. I also have mine on the north side of my house, and it's very happy getting late day sun only. This picture was last summer; I planted it as a baby in late Aug/02. As you can see, there's two different clematis - the purple is a Polish Spirit and the pink is a Comtesse du Bouchaud.