Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Is this really legal?, 1 by designart

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright designart

In reply to: Is this really legal?

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Is this really legal?
designart wrote:
Wow...can't believe I forgot Yellowwood! Such a beautiful native tree and seldom planted! Contractors in my area don't use it because it is weak-wooded and short lived, also not readily available. If I could have a tree like Yellowwood for even 10 years, I would consider myself lucky!!!

Enkianthus is a beautiful narrow upright deciduous shrub. Habit is rather open and loose, growing 12-18' tall by 10-15' wide at maturity. This shrub is EXTREMELY slow growing. I think this is one of the main reasons it is not popular in landscaping. However, if you love dainty plants and appreciate natives, this is a wonderful shrub/small tree. Multi-stemmed or low branching, whorled leaves, layering effect, slow growing, off-white bell shapped flowers w/red veins in May or June, bright red fall foliage, nice winter form. We planted one at my parent's home about 10 years ago and I would guess it has grown maybe 2'. So it you are looking for a good small upright near a patio where you can see and appreciate the flowers please consider Enkianthus. Grows in zones 4-7 loving acid soils in full sun to part shade (maybe the deep shade accounts for the slow growth we have seen with our specimen).