Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling, 1 by zacattack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright zacattack

In reply to: Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling
zacattack wrote:
The cross, Liaison X Conjuration produced 35 seeds. Of those, 17 germinated and have become nice plants. The following spring after germination, 5 bloomed. Four of them are nice plants. The jury is still out on the 5th. It can't decide what it want's to be. Showing fuzzy blue horns on some flowers, and flounces on the "standards"... Flounces are usually an appendage coming off the beard. Flowers also lacking good form. Curious to see how it turns out this year. Here's a close up photo of the horn and flounce. I did have a few other blooms this year that were nothing special... but, neither were the parents. Being new at this, I did a lot of experimentation early on, making crosses of anything I had blooming. This year I was much more selective in making my crosses. Give it a try and stay with it... there is "nothing" quite like the thrill of seeing your own seedling bloom for the first time. Just remember... use award winning plants as your parents and chances are you will get good results.

Best of Luck... Dan