Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling, 1 by zacattack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright zacattack

In reply to: Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling
zacattack wrote:
Bearded Iris are easily grown from seed if given proper care. In Zone 8a, I plant mine in early December, which is normally before our first good freeze. They need the freezing and thawing effects of winter to prompt germination. I plant about an inch deep in 8" pots with a loose mix of washed brick sand and spaghnum peat moss. Keep adequately moist, with an occasional good drenching. Winter rains normally take care of this for you. The seedlings begin to emerge in early to mid March, with an average germination rate of roughly 50 to 60 %. I transplant to the garden in September. Some prefer to transplant when the seedlings are 3 to 4 inches tall, which would be April to early May in my location. I plan to try this with some next year, but will lose a few of the late sprouters, as a few seeds continue to sprout throughout the summer. This is only my second season, so I still have much to learn. Hope there are others willing to offer their advise and share their photos.... Photo is of seedlings on April 19th.

Good Luck, and thanks for the nice comments... Dan