Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: What killed 5 of my rose bushes?, 1 by KimmyMZ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright KimmyMZ

Subject: What killed 5 of my rose bushes?

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What killed 5 of my rose bushes?
KimmyMZ wrote:
I\'ve been growing roses in Redwood City, CA for decades. Many of my rose bushes are several decades old, but still doing well. This past fall I lost 5 of my rose bushes which were all growing in a relatively sunny area of my backyard: Leander, Emanuel (English roses), Fashion, Hot Cocoa and Gruss an Coburg. They were all quite healthy, but suddenly started to fail. Within a month, all were dead. I inspected them for insects, but didn\'t see anything. I kept them well watered during our very hot weeks. Some roses growing very close to them were not affected, but of the same age. Today (12/24/22) I walked out side and saw mushrooms growing at the base of all the dead rose bushes. So my question is, \"Did fungi kill my rose bushes or are the mushrooms growing as a result of the dead bushes rotting away?\" We had a good rainy spell during the first week of December and the ground is still quite wet. I\'ve attached some pictures. Don\'t know what kind of mushrooms these are. So I won\'t be eating any as much as I love mushrooms. I have disposed of all the mushrooms, but have not dug up the roses in hopes that a twig or two may survive. Doesn\'t look promising at the moment...