Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Grow lighting help needed :-(, 2 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Grow lighting help needed :-(

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

Back to post
Photo of Grow lighting help needed :-(
hcmcdole wrote:
I would go for LED shop lights today as the prices are very low and competitive. If you grow high intensity light plants then you will pay a lot more for those features.

I started out with T12 years ago and then replaced all those over 4 to 5 years with T8 (more efficient and the same amount of light). Now I am in the process of changing out all the T8 lights with LED. I am running 90+ shop lights in the basement. The LED lights are 50 watts/5000 lumens compared to 64 watts for the T8 lights, much brighter in my opinion, run cooler enough that the leaves that touch the bulbs do not burn, and so lightweight that I can handle them with one hand instead of two. I get most of mine from Sam\'s Club (Honeywell even though the name of the fixture is Intertek) for $20 each. I buy five at a time and may have replaced a third of the 90+ so far. They are not without fault though - I\'ve had to replace 3 of them so far but I put the burned out fixture in the box, take it back to Sam\'s for a refund and buy some more.

I built this stand last year using 2x2 furring strips to hang four LED shop lights for taller plants. The results were very good as these plants suffered in past winters next to other shelving units.