Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: HELP: curling leaves on ornamental cherry tree, 1 by andrew_h

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright andrew_h

Subject: HELP: curling leaves on ornamental cherry tree

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of HELP: curling leaves on ornamental cherry tree
andrew_h wrote:
Hi everyone,

An inexperienced gardener here.

I have this beautiful flowering tree in my front yard (we only bought this house less than a year ago so I don\'t know the history of it nor am I sure on the type). I *think* it\'s an ornamental cherry tree because before its leaves grew back this spring, it had this short but amazing display of white/pale pink blossoms. Plus it also has a serrated leaf. But no cherry fruit.

Anyway, it\'s the last half of Summer here in Australia. A few weeks ago we had a two-week run of quite hot days (all 30C/86F+, with many at or 35C/95F). We\'re no stranger to hot days here in Australia but this was a longer than usual run and no rainfall during this time.

During this time, the cherry tree leaves started curling up and many of them have developed brown-ish holes/spots on them.

I had assumed it was underwatered and overheated, so I increased the water it was getting (left the hose slowing running for 30-60 mins every day). I was hoping the tree would recover with additional water and after the hot days passed. It hasn\'t. :(

There is buffalo grass underneath, with a 2.5-metre square gap (8 ft) at the base of the tree. The lawn gets lots of water too (but I suspect soaks most of it up itself).

I\'m also concerned that it could be lawn fertiliser that caused this too, as coincidently I fertilised the lawn about a week before this started occurring.

Any advice about what could be causing this and how to help this tree recover would be appreciated. It\'s a lovely mature tree that I really hope will bounce back!

Many thanks in advance
Andrew