Propagation: Plant Propagation Discussions - July 2020, 1 by oxdriftgardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright oxdriftgardener

In reply to: Plant Propagation Discussions - July 2020

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Plant Propagation Discussions - July 2020
oxdriftgardener wrote:
Thanks so much Kitt. I\'m afraid this is going to be a bit of a crap shoot. My support contraptions might have destroyed the tell tail tendrils. Both of these melons set about the same time. The first one below didn\'t grow much after I supported it. There are two dried up things that may or may not be the tendrils? The second one is much larger and I really can\'t see a tendril. It was having some stress from the support bag which had kinked it\'s stem/food supply line. I ripped the bag open a bit to allow it to straighten out . You can probably see where the kink was about an inch above the melon on the right side . When I asked Google how to tell when Shiny Boy watermelons were ready to eat this is what I got. It said approximately 75 days from transplanting which I found a little strange, because who knows how soon after transplanting they will set fruit. Using that info would suggest around September first as my best guess for transplant date is around June 15.
My Mom will be coming for a visit on Wednesday. She may be some help as my Dad grew Shiny Boys in his last gardening years. They are about 3 hours south of us on the US border which gives them about a 2 week growing season advantage.