Tomatoes & Peppers: Saving Seeds, 1 by Niere

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Niere

Subject: Saving Seeds

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Saving Seeds
Niere wrote:
Hi Everyone--it\'s been a few years since I\'ve been a member--happy to be back. :) I rejoined and am posting because I am in the process of placing my seed orders, and am facing some serious sticker shock (I\'ll leave the swear words out of this. ;) ). Not going to get into naming names, but $4.45 for a packet of tomato seeds is ridiculous. I will probably bite the bullet on a few varieties with this vendor this year, because I tend to like their seeds and germination rates, but I can\'t afford to keep doing this. My plan is to start saving seeds this year, at least when it comes to tomatoes, which is really the bulk of my gardening crop. I understand I can\'t save hybrid seeds and expect any sort of predictability (though I have to tell you I\'ve seen Juliets come up and they look pretty much the same to me) but as far as heirlooms go, am I correct in understanding that with tomatoes you really don\'t need to worry much about cross pollination? My garden is only 50\'x50\', I don\'t have the space to plant separate plots of tomatoes.

Any suggestions/help/advice appreciated. Thank you so much!