Tomatoes & Peppers: 2017 Tomato Review, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: 2017 Tomato Review

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 2017 Tomato Review
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Don, Hazelfield Farm was passed around by Gary Millwood about ten years ago. Tatiana has a good history and review of this tomato. It is certainly prolific and comparable in taste to Arkansas Traveler or Mortgage Lifter. Does well in our heat and humidity. What never seems to be included in the descripions are the copious amounts of rather large seeds for a 6-8oz. tomato.

Alfred Orange seed was passed along to me from a former colleague of DD. Her grandparents grew it. I don't know its provenance beyond a Maryland country garden. Doubt it will ever be listed or available. I am always open to sharing seed. DM me.

Another interesting tomato is torpedo-shape, Sherrill's Watermelon (see photo). I think the name was suggested by Carolyn. Maria made this seed available more than a decade ago. Its provenance is Sherrill's Ford, N.C. and the garden of a friend's grandparents. It is now available. A good tomato if you like them on the dry side. Like a huge Roma in texture but with flavor. Very few seeds make collecting precious. Some fruits ripen with no mature seeds. The fruit stems are proportionately slim and the fruits large resulting in a propensity towards fruit drop. I've learned not to touch them while ripening. I've had good years recently and wonder if this is due to adaptation of the seed.

The third year of growing the natural hybrid, Golden Willie, has been very successful. Vigorous, productive and tasty like its Sungold parent at twice the size. Some plants are longer lived than others. One plant produced reds.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2017 4:20 PM