Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonShirer

In reply to: 2017 Tomato Review

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 2017 Tomato Review
DonShirer wrote:
Three weeks later and I can come to some conclusions:
1.      Best performance this year: Husky Cherry Red. Excellent yield, good taste, disease resistant.
 2.     Best tasting: Lucky Cross. Mine were lumpier than the catalog pix, and only average yield, but excellent taste.
 3.     Best miniature: Utyonok. Plants only 18-24\" high. Yield nothing to fill a basket with but better than the other 4 miniatures I tried this summer.
4.      Wierdest: Michael Pollan (alias Mint Julep). My green tomato experiment this season. I mentioned above how hard they were, but almost a month after they were picked my wife noticed they were a little softer (but still very firm). Slicing them into a salad, they had a pleasant mild taste, but still a little crunchy. Only pluses I can see is that they keep exceptionally long off the vine and the critters don\'t bother them as much as my other varieties. The M.P. fruits still on the plant are a little bigger and more pear shaped now, but still show no signs of the yellow tint that is supposed to indicate ripening. I probably won\'t grow these again. Anybody want seeds?