Tomatoes & Peppers: 2017 Tomato Review, 2 by birder17

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright birder17

Subject: 2017 Tomato Review

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

Back to post
Photo of 2017 Tomato Review
birder17 wrote:
So, what tomatoes did well and which ones didn\'t for you?
Stupice: Heirloom Pumped out tomatoes early and all summer long. Small 1 1/2\" tomato, not very tasty, not real juicy, makes for good roasting tomato.
Kellog\'s Breakfast: Heirloom Slow to get going as most heirlooms are.
Once it started producing tomatoes, it has been quite satisfactory. Very large tomatoes: 5\" inches in diameter. Tasty, juicy, gets a little watery, doesn\'t last too long, once off of the vine. This makes a good sandwich tomato except it is very juicy.
Gold Medal: Has produced only one tomato to date. Delicious! Mostly gold with some red mixed in. Tomato is about 5\" in diameter.
Meaty. Has not produced well but will grow it next year perhaps, in a more favorable location.
Cherokee Purple: Very tasty. Has started producing well just this week. About 4\" in diameter. Meaty.
I will probably grow all of the above named tomatoes for the reasons mentioned. I am also going to grow a Better Boy or Big Boy along with the Heirlooms as I think it will produce earlier than the last of July at the earliest. What experience have you had with Better Boy or Big Boy? This is zone 6b.
Stupice produced relatively early. It wasn\'t the tastiest, but it was nice to get tomatoes early and enough to eat.
The small red ones are Stupice. The large red ones are Cherokee Purple, the gold ones are Kellog\'s Breakfast. (And the peppers are Jalapenos.)