Hybridizers: And so it begins..., 5 by pmmGarak

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pmmGarak

In reply to: And so it begins...

Forum: Hybridizers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of And so it begins...
pmmGarak wrote:
I think another subject of selection has chosen me: three years ago, I started Antirrhinum siculum (pic1), and by chance, a single seedling of the common Antirrhinum majus came up with them (pic2). Now, after my last nasty winter, all the parents gave up, and all new seedlings spreading proved to be antirrhinum majus. But besides the things I expected, like color separation of the tricolor parent and additional colors dragged in from surrounding populations (e.g. pic 3), I have now 2 plants with a net pattern on the upper lip (4,5) - i've never seen that before in a snapdragon - all patterns I know are broken colors, no distinctive netting. I think I like the feature and will try to make a selection for that effect. And after it is stable, I might try to transfer it from the low growing form it has now, to the elegant high growing forms...

a sidenote: the Digitalis Grandiflora/lanata cross seems to be exceptionally easy - i have another 4 plants of those in flower now. this may increase the chance to get fertile seed from them...

This message was edited Jul 17, 2017 7:37 PM