Perennials: What\'s Blooming #3, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What\'s Blooming #3

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's Blooming #3
DonnaMack wrote:
I do indeed. I discovered them in 2004 during a business trip. I walked in and saw all kinds of wonderful plants, and unlike so many other places, admission was free and they encouraged me to walk around and enjoy myself. I was so impressed I told them I wanted to support them, and started at Sponsor level, which was $250. They expressed their surprise, because I am too far away to benefit from many of the goodies. But they kindly make sure that most of my membership plants are hardy in zone 5, and I receive sometimes quite unusual ones that aren\'t in commerce for a while. Some times I get things like abelias which are tender, but have such small rootballs that I dig them and put them on my southfacing house site during the winter. Very cheering, because they continue to bloom.

My favorite plant of all time is the Deutzia \'Chardonnay Pearls\' they sent me in 2009. I dug it up and brought it to my new home. This was a couple of years before it was widely available. It is at its mature height of about three feet, and for such a delicated looking thing, it\'s really tough!