Perennials: Cotula \'Tiffendell Gold\', 3 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

Subject: Cotula \'Tiffendell Gold\'

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cotula 'Tiffendell Gold'
Pistil wrote:
This is a lovely little groundcover for a dry gravelly spot. The genus Cotula is related to Leptinella, (Brass Buttons).
It was collected by David Salman, the Horticulturist/Plant Hunter at High country Gardens, they still sell it. It was named for where he found it growing wild- at Tiffendell Ski Area in South Africa! He was apparently hunting up in the mountains for more hardy strains of various South African plants, and this is one. He says it is hardy to zone 5, but Far Reaches Farm here in Washington also sells it, they say zone 7. I suspect it has to do with drainage. I have heavy clay, it does not grow there, but grows and slowly spreads in the gravel my rock path is set in, on a slight slope. It seeds a bit into gravel nearby, and in between the bricks of my walkway. I can dig up new seedlings, the tap root still being short, and replant elsewhere with good success.
It comes true from seed! For me it is evergreen, and blooms all summer in flushes. It is still blooming now in September. So cute, I have it next to Coreopsis \'Jethro Tull\', they go well together. It does not seem to care if it is never watered.
I have saved seed, but never tried to sprout it. If anyone wants any just let me know.
1- close up with camera on the ground, August 31
2- June 1, \'Jethro\" already in bloom, Cotula just getting started blooming (you may have to enlarge to see the little buttons, but in person they are very noticeable)
3- I just ran out in the dark and used my iPhone to show the seedling in the crack, it looks just like Mom.