Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What\'s Blooming #2

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What's Blooming #2
DonnaMack wrote:
Indeed Brenda, I Love a bargain!

Free works too. Nice people gave me my first astilbe seedling, and I was given five white dicentra. I inherited a pink one, was given a variegated one, and a client who had tons of them said, hey, why don\'t you take these? I put them in an area around ferns and oakleaf hydrangeas, and marked the location for when they wave bye bye for the year.

Blooming now is Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls (a plant so great it changed my mind about yellow). It looks so delicate, but comes up like gangbusters year after year. It\'s tucked under a 35 year old plus PJM rhodie, and takes over the show as the rhodie backs into its quiet evergreen splendor.

The huge thing in the second picture is David Austin\'s first rose, \'Constance Spry\'. It will be in bloom in a week, but down next to it are two nepeta that were supposed to be Dawn to Dusk\', but instead are some short, incredibly dense nepeta I do not know the name of. The great nursery I ordered it from apologized and sent me a refund, even though I told them I loved it and was happy to keep it.

Alchemilla mollis. I have discovered that this lovely plant will grow in north shade as it did at my former home, but will also grow in full sun on the south side of my house near the roses.

The fourth pic is a closer image of Geranium \'Bevan\'s Variety\'. A very kind person gave me about 20. They work in sun, shade, great soil, so-so soil, moisture and dryness. They are evergreen. They clump up, so I have about 50, and I put them every where for any purpose. These are on my driveway, for heaven\'s sake. I am so grateful to my friend. This is a plant that can go anywhere,always looks great, and fills any purpose I can find for it.

The last is an ornigothalem that popped up in my yard - Star of Bethlehem? I deliberately grow nutans. When things pop up I normally look at the with a beady eye (invasive), and I understand that this can be, but after four years I only have a handfull, and they must have decided to be nice because they turn up in perfect locations.

Oh my goodness, I love gardening!!!!!