Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2016

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 2016
DonnaMack wrote:
The Lily Pad does send lovely bulbs.

I received some this spring as well. You should start to see the new bulbs pop up within a month. Some of the bulbs you will receive will have sprouted - handle them with care. All of the ones I have received had sprouted. This is actually great, because you know the bulbs are alive and happy. There are three important, but simple, things to remember about lilies. One is that they are never dormant. When you get them, try to get them into the ground fairly quickly. Two is that if you can\'t then chill them - but keep them away from ripening fruit in your fridge (apples, pears) because those fruits give off a gas that makes the bulbs abort. Thirdly, even if you damage the sprouts, plant he bulbs, because they will boom next year. I just planted some Mr. Cas I had in the refrigerator for ten days.

You have a nice span of lilies. Some will be ready to bloom in June, some in July, and some in August. This is really nice, because it will give you a long season of lilies. I wasn\'t as smart as you are, and all my initial lilies bloomed at once.

Uchida is one of my favorite lilies. These are second year ones. It is one of the last lilies to bloom (a speciosum) and will be coming up in August, even September.

And Anastasia may be my favorite lily! And talk about staying power! The last picture was taken in July of 2007 at my former home. I still have these bulbs - they are blooming, and multiplying every year. Great choice!

It\'s fun to \"talk\" about lilies with someone who is actually growing them as bulbs. So many people buy them in pots, which is very expensive. Have fun!

Donna