Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
Hi guys!
Oh how awful in regards to Fenny! That\'s horrible. Is everything o.k. now? Has the vet released Fenny and given her a clean bill of health?

I can understand about not wanting wild animals on one\'s land but jaw traps are so cruel and inhuman. They do make cage traps that will contain the animal and you can call wildlife control/animal control and they will collect them and relocate them!

I also think it is despicable that anyone would poison any animal. One it is cruel and inhumane and a painful way to die. Two, well it doesn\'t always work out positively in that other domestic animals get into it and---as you can see from what happened to Fenny, the results can be catastrophic. Sorry Jim. Your neighbor is an idiot!

In a way I feel so bad for coyotes in that they are so misunderstood. They are more afraid of you then you are of them. The only reason they come on your land is to pass through to go to their hunting ground. If your yard IS their hunting ground it is usually because there is something there like chickens that are un cooped/not fenced in, cats that are left out at night or other small domestic pets and farm animals left to roam around free or garbage improperly contained. If there\'s no incentive or reason for them to be there they walk on by.

Coyotes primarily like rabbits (wild), and scavenge. Good because they function as a clean up crew. They also eat vermin such as rats, squirrels and chipmunks. Really a useful animal.

They become a problem here because we get tourist and snow birds and hikers/bikers that don\'t dispose of food properly when they visit. I used to live by a golf course and the golfers would always toss out left over sandwiches and boxes of donuts. I\'d find them every where. No wonder the coyotes were coming in close to our subdivision. When the snow birds went away so did the coyotes.

With dogs I\'ve heard the electric fences work well. It is just a little box that you attach to the collar and it is set to the same frequency as a few small posts you spread out along your property\'s perimeters at random places/corners. There\'s no literal fence but the posts emit a small electrical signal that if the dog gets to close to the \'boundary\' there\'s a very mild zap that keeps them from passing beyond it.
Maybe you should look into something like that for Fenny? She could still roam around free but be \'contained\' so to speak and not wander into the neighbors area where he lays down poison and traps.

I hope she will be o.k.

As for us here well a neighbor was kind enough to just give me a huge monster plant she didn\'t want or care about anymore as she isn\'t a gardener. She didn\'t want it to die so she just gave it to me. It is currently 3.5 feet tall and the arms are 2.5- 3 feet long! Full size it will get to 6 feet tall and 8-10 foot arms and grow that crazy 30 foot stalk! She had it crammed in this ridiculously little pot it was busting through. I put it in the raised beds out back.

Also just been exhausted as husband has been on vacation and we have ripped up the linoleum in the kitchen. Spent two days scraping up glue and scrubbing down the floor to make sure it is off. Today we are going to tile it. Tomorrow we are going to rip up the carpet in the living room and continue. GROAN!!! My everything hurts, my hands are a cut up, calloused mess despite gloves and we\'re all complaining.

Luckily we have a friend who is helping us and my neighbor is feeding us today as we won\'t be able to use the kitchen. Zoe has been a good sport about all of this. As long as she gets her walk, we play in the early a.m. and she gets her regular food and treats she\'s flopped out on her pillows and out of our way.

Talk to you guys in a day or so.

Let me know what\'s new and how everyone is doing and feeling.
Peace. Out.
TTC.

Song for the day: \"Working in a Coal Mine\" by Devo (LOL) real song and real funny.

Monster plant in pot.
Monster plant in raised beds I built, now its permanents home!