Perennials: And so it begins ..., 5 by Weerobin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weerobin

In reply to: And so it begins ...

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of And so it begins ...
Weerobin wrote:
We had a couple weeks of normal winter weather (single digits & snow) but today\'s unbelievably warm (75!). My Adonis is still blooming nearly a month later. An Eranthis (#1) just opened. Snowdrops (#2) are in full gear. And I was pleased to find this beautiful crocus open today (#3). It\'s either Crocus hadriaticus or C malyi - I have no clue how to tell them apart. At any rate, it\'s really pretty.

It was so warm today I started a new project, a little mini-crevice garden (#4). I have this cement planter which the animals love to dig in - I had pretty much given up on it. But I like the looks of some crevice gardens, so I\'m experimenting with a mini-crevice garden in this planter. I figure the stones will help keep the varmints from digging in it so easily. We\'ll see. I\'ve got a bunch of rock garden plants which I\'ll plant in it later this spring. The whole planter is only about 18 x 12 inches, so definitely a crevice garden on a miniature scale. May be a bust, but it was an entertaining way to spend part of a beautiful warm weekend.