Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Transplanting Ilex verticillata, 2 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Transplanting Ilex verticillata

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to post
Photo of Transplanting Ilex verticillata
ViburnumValley wrote:
You have a solid memory, Pseudo. I\'ll look back in time to find that gem, and post a link to it here.

HOWEVER - that was a nursery-grown plant (maybe 3 years in place), not a 15 year old mature landscape plant. Despite overall size, the length of time a tree/shrub has grown in one place without root-pruning makes a huge difference in potential success with transplantability.

Loretta may be able to jerk that \'Winter Gold\' out of the ground with a chain and a pickup truck, plow it back into the ground, and see new leaves emerge from parts of it - thus having a live plant. I doubt it would be much more than a shadow of its former self, though.

It is probably a better approach to extract a younger vigorous portion (the suckering stem from the colonizing aspect of Ilex verticillata root system behavior) and have that re-establish as a new clonal offspring.

The shrub transplanting process that I illustrated with Viburnum species is different, in that I was transplanting the entire plant - not a subset - of a much younger plant. Most viburnum are not colonizers, though there are a few that behave this way - Viburnum prunifolium, Viburnum rufidulum, and Viburnum acerifolium among them.