Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
Good Morning Carrie,

Sorry I didn\'t get back right away. I\'ve been busy planting and doing \'logistics\' in my front yard. You know there\'s no sun here for 7 hours in winter but it is here for 7 hours in the day frying everything. O.K. the plant is only so big now but in 2 years it is going to be 8 times as big. O.K. all \'these\' plants get more water than \'this\' but \'this\' fits here but I can\'t put it here so that means something has got to be moved. Blah, blah...blah! Spent the day doing the plant shuffle.

Still have to get some work done now on the back yard in terms of finishing raised beds. That way I don\'t have to fuss with the front yard anymore and can concentrate on the back. Eye roll, sigh.

Well I am glad the nursing home made a large part of your tasks easy. I think what it may be is that the aides can not legally go through or clear out or dispose of anything in his room so the entire contents were just boxed including the trash for the same reason as you described as above. Their view is most likely you have no idea what he may have written on papers, or phone numbers or anything else that they see as valueless but could wind up being infinitely valuable to you for some reason.

Also I think it may have something to do with the law and his possessions. The trash was in your dad\'s room so it was his possession. If they removed it or it contained some evidence of foul play as to the reason he died then the nursing home is in trouble.

And of course places like that are always anxious you remove the family member\'s things a.s.a.p. They are a business and want to fill the space again. Your dad was lucky he has you and a decent place to go.

I often wonder what will happen to me if I\'m elderly and Dave goes, vice-versa or both of us as we have no children and no money. It was the reason why I never cared to own a home. By the time we own it we\'ll be in our late 70s. Who knows how long we\'ll be here. We have nobody to leave it to. From my aches and pains this morning from simple gardening I wonder how we will be able to do the work to fix, maintain, and clean (to my standards) the place as we hit our 70s and 80s.

This is why I never wanted a home. An apartment or condo always suited me just fine. There are plenty of nice ones in plenty of nice neighborhoods where you don\'t have to worry about these types of things. Even if I had hit the 1.5 billion lotto I still would have bought the house and rented it out THEN found a nice very spacious and large condo with a yard in most likely San Diego or Mexico. Or most likely I just would have moved to Norway.

Anyway, here\'s the two beds I have done. One is about 7 feet by 3 and 4 layers high. The other is 4 feet by 3 and 3 layers high. You can see a very small pile of brick next to it. I am planning to add on a small, perfectly square one built off the side of the one bed. I think it is probably going to be 2 feet by 2 feet and maybe 6 layers high.

The one after that I think will be about another one built about 4 feet by 2 and maybe 4 layers high. I\'d like that one on the left by the prickly pear.

I\'m trying to do various interconnected beds that vary in height and width and I\'d kind of like to create a bit of a \'maze\' like structure. Originally I had plans for 7 beds. Uhm...we\'ll see after bed number 3. Lots of work since these bricks are actually mortared together (Quickcrete in a tube), the cracks filled in and then they are filled with soil and topped with stone.

Yes, it is unfortunate Jim and Kay canceled their membership but they didn\'t like what the website did. I didn\'t like it either but every web site no matter whose has a page that says they have the right to and please read for upcoming changes and formats. My feeling on the whole \'mutiny\' thing is when you joined did you \'read the fine print\' of the contract that said this or just hit subscribe? If you don\'t read then why get mad when things change? Their web site, their prerogative and you \'agreed\'. Kind of stupid to feel mad and like you got blindsided when you didn\'t \'read\'.

Facebook, ATP, Nasdaq quotes page all do this and will without taking a \'vote\' from their members. Nasdaq is world wide stock market quotes NOT A CHAT ROOM...and free but they changed their website! When I went to look up stocks and get flash and info quotes I hated it but I also shrugged my shoulders and dealt with the changes.

BTW what did you mean when you said \"cancelling is a lot harder than just not renewing?\"

Peace. Out.
TTC